Can You Believe How Much Americans Spend on Prom? [POLL]
My daughter's Jr/Sr Prom is in a couple of weeks so we've been figuring out our prom budget. I asked our Facebook friends how much they spent (or would spend) on their daughter a dress and the most someone said they spent was $500.00. No big, we can do that.Then I saw this...
A recent survey showed that Americans will spend an average of $1,078 on their kids' prom this year. WHAT?!!?
Here's the breakdown:
- Parents who make under $20,000 will spend an average of $1,200.
- Parents who make $20,000-$29,999 will spend an average of $2,635.
- Parents who make $30,000-$39,999 will spend an average of $801.
- Parents who make $40,000-$49,999 will spend an average of $695.
- Parents who make over $50,000 will spend an average of $988.
- Parents who make over $75,000 will spend an average of $842.
That got me thinking.. what could these people possible be spending that much money on? Hummm. Let's break it down.
- Ticket to prom: $25.00
- Dinner: $20.00
- Dress: $300.00
- Corsage: $50.00
- Hair/Nails: $100.00
- Shoes: $100.00
- Spray tan or tanning: $50.00
- Accessories: $50.00
There's $695.00 right there and I'm sure I'm leaving SOMETHING out. Gulp. (Anyone need a DJ for a wedding, party, etc, etc? Daddy needs to work! LOL).
For those on a budget looking to buy used dresses, I looked up prom dresses on Craiglist and found plenty of previously worn dresses for sale right here in the Ark-La-Tex.