Country Artists Mourning The Loss of Country Music Legend George Jones [VIDEO]
It is a very sad day for country music fans everywhere the loss of perhaps one of the greatest country music singers of all time and true country music legend has died in Nashville. Jones’ publicist confirmed the legend died on Friday (4/26) at Vanderbilt University Medical Center after being hospitalized with fever and irregular blood pressure. Jones has inspired so many of yesterday and today's country stars with his iconic sound and his traditional country roots that is definitely something that is missing in today's new generation of country music. Jones touched so many musicians lives of other genres of music with his signature sound and voice. Whether the song would be about a good time, heartbreak, a love song or just a good ol' drinking and cheating song, George had a way of bringing it home as only he could do as an artist. Today not only did country music lose a legend it lost a great friend. As most of you know this was George's final touring year and it was to culminate in Nashville later this year with a huge celebration of artists from all genres of music who were set to perform with him on his final concert. I just hope they don't cancel the event and turn it into a special tribute show to honor the possum's greatness. The song "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is most likely the greatest country songs of all time in my humble opinion. I guess in the game of life George Jones may have passed on but his music will live on forever and his legacy will continue to inspire musicians for generations to come.
He is survived by wife Nancy, whom he married in 1983, and several children and grandchildren, most of whom still live in the Nashville area where Jones himself lived after leaving Texas in the late 1960s.
You might say George is now on his Grand Tour of heaven. Rest in Peace.
Here are some tweets from other fellow country artists:
- Luke Bryan (@LukeBryanOnline): “George. You will be deeply missed. Thanks for the beautiful memories.”
- Dierks Bentley (@DierksBentley): “as sad as i am, i know my friend terry eldredge @TheGrascals is devastated. no bigger fan. many nights listening to jones together. #thedoor.”
- Blake Shelton (@blakeshelton): “Really REALLY bad news. We’ve lost a country legend. And I’ve lost a hero and a friend. Goodbye George Jones…”
- Brad Paisley (@BradPaisley): “My friend, the greatest singer of all time, has passed. To those who knew him, our lives were full. To those of you who don’t: discover him now.”
- Faith Hill (@FaithHill): “We lost one of the best voices God created this morning. Our hearts are saddened to hear that George Jones has passed away…”
- Carrie Underwood (@carrieunderwood): ““@Wildaboutmusic: #RIPGeorgeJones. The greatest country singer of all-time. Period.” Couldn’t have said it better…”
- Keith Urban (@KeithUrban): “If I’m blessed enough to make it there, I look forward to you giving me the grand tour. Rest in peace George Jones!!!!! – KU”
- Jennifer Nettles (@JenniferNettles): “I’ll never forget the first time I heard the story in “He Stopped Loving Her Today”. RIP George Jones. Country Legend. U will be missed.”
- Jason M. Carroll (@JMCOfficial): “One of the foundations of country music has passed away. Saddened by the passing of “The Possum” George Jones…fb.me/2dxEi6jsT”
- Tracy Lawrence (@tracey_lawrence): “I am so saddened by the news of George Jones’ passing. I will always treasure our times together. ow.ly/i/1YIe1 RIP @gjpossum”
- Greg Bates (@gregcbates): “Sad hearing the news of George Jones. Never met him but I feel like I knew him. We lost a country music hero today. http://say.ly/lrf5GsZ”
- Thomas Rhett (@ThomasRhett): “So sad to hear about George Jones. Country music has lost a legend.”
- John Rich (@johnrich): “Every serious country artist in the past 30 years has some #georgejones dna in their blood and music. My God. We’re lost our Elvis.”
- Tim McGraw (@TheTimMcGraw): “Gone ...... George Jones .....man he was country music”
- Trace Adkins (@TraceAdkins): “George Jones was my friend, and I loved him. Trace Adkins.”
- Keith Urban (@KeithUrban): “Rest In Peace George Jones!!! -KU http://smarturl.it/UrbanChat51” (video included)
- Dierks Bentley (@DierksBentley): “nancy and @gjpossum had a beautiful marriage and special relationship. love you nancy. long live the possum. gonna miss my buddy. real sad.”
- Scotty McCreery (@ScottyMcCreery): “RIP George Jones. A country music legend who will be truly missed.”
- Charlie Daniels (@CharlieDaniels): “Rest in peace George Jones There will never be another one like you and we’ll miss you a bunch Buddy.
- Alan Jackson (@OfficialJackson): “Heaven better get ready for George Jones. He will always be the greatest singer of real country music – there’ll never be another.”
- Kacey Musgraves (@KaceyMusgraves): “The angel choir just got a whole lot better this morning.. #RIP #GeorgeJones.”
- Kirstie Alley (@kirstiealley): “RIP George Jones…your music lives on.”
- Eddie Montgomery (@LuckymanEddie): “DAM! Its a sad day for all styles of music today ! George Jones u showed us country guys how to do it, u live life to the fullest!!!”
- Jason Aldean (@JasonAldean): “So sad to hear about the passing of George Jones today. Country music has lost one of our pioneers and legendary... http://fb.me/2lfYEzrmm”
- Little Big Town (@LBTmusic): “There will never be another George Jones. You are and always will be country music. Rest in peace. #GeorgeJones”
- Merle Haggard (@merlehaggard): “The world may have lost the greatest country singer that ever lived.”
This is the official video for "You and Me and Time"
The song Georgette wrote for her dad.