Jeff Challenges Master Chef Contestant [Video]
It's no secret that I love to eat, but I also enjoy cooking a great deal. However, most of my cooking is BBQ, and I cook with a big pit-smoker. I do watch a lot of those shows on the food network, and I am a big fan of Gordon Ramsey's cooking shows, especially "Master Chef". I like that one in particular, because it's everyday folks like you and me.
The day after her elimination from the Master Chef kitchen, Christine Corley stopped by the radio station to play on the radio a little bit, and I posted video from the interview. What you didn't see, was that while she was here, we ambushed her with a special "Mystery Box Challenge".
We put together a couple of boxes with only ingredients we could find in our break-room, and competed to see who could come up with the best dish...
In all seriousness, this young lady knows food, and we expect her to go really far with her talent for flavors, cooking technique, and creative thinking. And the fact that she has a great personality will surely help.
Christine did a cooking demonstration at Vincent Senatore's wine shop last Friday, and shared a couple of her sauce recipes, and I thought you might like to try them...
RED WINE REDUCTION SAUCE:
1 cup red wine
1 shallot, sliced
2-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon of Chinese Five spice
2 teaspoons of Sherry vinegar
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 tablespoon of butter (optional)
- In a small saucepot add red wine and reduce until thick about 1/4 cup. Set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium-high heat add shallot and sauté until caramelized 1-2 minutes.
- Add thyme, peppercorns, bay leaf, Chinese Five Spice, Sherry vinegar, reduced red wine, chicken stock, kosher salt, cook until thick and reduced about 5-6 minutes.
- Finish sauce with butter.
Serve with red meat and game.
BUERRE BLANC SAUCE: makes 32 fl oz.
2-4 shallots, finely diced
8 oz. dry white wine
2 oz. fresh lemon juice
1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
3 oz. cider vinegar
1 lb. 8 oz COLD butter, cubed
8 oz. heavy cream, reduced by half (optional)
Kosher salt and ground white pepper, to taste
Zest of lemon
1 tablespoon of fresh chives
- In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat add the shallots, peppercorns, white wine, lemon juice, red pepper flakes and vinegar. Cook until nearly dry and disappeared.
- If using the reduced heavy cream add and cook 2-3 minutes. *Can be strained at this point if needed.
- On low heat add the cold butter a few pieces at a time, constantly whisking. Continue until all the butter is incorporated, be sure to take your time.
- Add salt, ground white pepper, lemon zest, and chives.
Serve with shrimp and white fish.
Christine will be in town for a little while longer, her Grandma wants her to stay, but while she is here she will be doing some "Personal Chef" gigs. For a real treat, contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To see, and hear the on-air interview, and find out what filming Master Chef is like... Click Here!