Scott’s List of the Top Things to do on Memorial Day Weekend…
Ahhh, Memorial Day Weekend. The unofficial beginning of summer. Time to clean off the grills, get the pools ready, stock up on sunscreen and get outdoors! Here is my top 5 list of things to do this weekend!
5.) Get out of town!
The Theme Parks are open and there are numerous festivals happening within a short drive of Texarkana on Memorial Day Weekend.
- Little Rock is hosting the 2011 Riverfest which is three days of music and fun for the entire family!
- Magic Springs opens for their first full weekend of the season with a concert by Easton Corbin on Saturday, May 29th.
- Six Flags is open as well and you can buy a season pass up until May 30th which will get you unlimited admission to the park throughout the season.
- In Shreveport, The 28th annual Mudbug Madness Festival is May 28th-30th and features entertainment on three stages and plenty of things to do.
- Clarksville, Texas is hosting their Fine Arts Festival on Saturday, May 28th.
4.) Enjoy a picnic at one of our local parks…
- There are over 20 parks in Texarkana. Get out and enjoy them!
3.) Have a backyard cookout…
- One of my all-time favorite things to do! Invite some close friends and family over, fire up the grill and enjoy. Be sure to fly your U.S. flag and hang some patriotic decorations around the yard!
2.) Head to the lake to camp, boat or picnic.
- If you’re heading out to Wright Patman, keep in mind that Northshore Beach is closed as well as Campsites D & E at Clear Springs due to construction projects. There are plenty of other recreational areas open around the lake, however, so change the oil in the boat and get out on the water!
- Lake Degray State Park has all sorts of things for the family to do.
1.) Whatever you do, let’s not forget the whole point of Memorial Day is to remember our hero’s who have died in battle. I encourage you to fly your flag at half staff until noon, then raise it for the rest of the day on Memorial day. You could also get out and place flags on soldiers graves at local cemeteries.
Be careful this Memorial Day Weekend and please, Don’t Drink and Drive!! Let’s keep the roads safe this weekend! Have fun!