Ashdown High School Designated School of Innovation
Ashdown High School was recently notified that they have been designated a School of Innovation. The designation is based upon AHS reaching goals set by the Department of Education and by providing evidence that they had reached these goals from data and a site visit last February.
- Added a career coach to support students in career and college planning
- Weekly Advisory Class
- Added a teacher cadet class for students wanting to go into the teaching profession
- Certifying student tutors through the National Tutor Association - student tutors are available during flex time
- Increased concurrent credit classes-students can graduate with 24+ college hours and increased opportunities for students to attend local colleges
- Increasing career certification classes (CNA and Pharmacy Tech added) and partnering with Lockesburg Industrial Maintenance Institute
- Implemented Rapsodo software to develop real-life analytical data to prepare for challenge careers in data analysis (real-world application with AHS Baseball Team)
Goal 5 was to transform the culture and climate. AHS has been working towards that goal by surveying the community, parents, and students on the characteristics of Ashdown graduates and used the results to inform learning on campus. AHS has formed strong community partnerships with those who are vested in the success of students. Flexible scheduling has been created to allow time for mentoring and academic support for all students. Student interest and voice interest are evident in the creation of TV Production, Coffee Shop, E-Sports, student-led tutoring, and advisory board. Students at AHS are also able to enjoy a revamped “commons area” which centers around flexible seating, healthy snacks, and a relaxed atmosphere for learning.