4 Key Ways the Ark-Tex Area Agency on Aging Helps Older Adults
Who do you call when an older adult could really use home-delivered meals?
Or is having trouble navigating Medicare?
There are so many agencies and programs designed to help older adults that it can become difficult to keep them straight. The Ark-Tex Area Agency on Aging (AAA) exists solely to develop programs for citizens ages 60 and older in nine counties: Bowie, Cass, Morris, Titus, Franklin, Hopkins, Delta, Lamar and Red River.
We wanted to highlight four key FREE services they offer:
1) Home-delivered meals. AAA provides nutritious meals at several locations, but they also provide home delivered meals to those who need them.
2) Benefits counseling for Medicare beneficiaries of any age. If you or a loved one is having trouble applying for or receiving public benefits or entitlements or are confused about your legal rights, counsellors are available to help. To learn more, call 903-255-3510 or click here.
3) Case management services that can provide homemaker and caregiver respite care. Sometimes the friends and family who help ill or disabled older adults who live at home can feel overwhelmed or need a little extra support. According AAA's website, a Caregiver Case Manager can help these special caregivers connect with the right services and even find additional help so the main caregiver can have a much-needed break. Click here to learn more.
4) The Long-Term Care Ombudsman advocates for quality of life and care for residents living in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Certified by Texas Health and Human Services, the ombudsman completes state-approved training and can help with issues such as:
- Ensuring residents receive the care they want with an appropriate amount of independence
- Ensuring residents are treated with dignity and their rights are respected
- Resolving issues that affect residents
- Sharing information about Resident and Family Councils
Click here to learn more about the long-term care ombudsman.
To learn more about these or any service provided by the Ark-Tex Area Agency on Aging, call 800-372-4464 or visit atcog.org/area-agency-on-aging. All of their services are free and they are here to help older adults, their caregivers and their families.