Dog Flu Makes Appearance in Texas, Here’s What You Need to Know
Apparently the flu shot isn't just for humans anymore.
I took my sweet Oliver to the vet this past week for his wellness evaluation and to update his immunizations. The vet asked me if I wanted him to get the dog flu vaccination. I almost laughed, but she was serious. She said that there have been some cases across the country in Florida and Georgia, but the decision was mine as to whether or not Oliver would receive it.
Needless to say I was taken aback.
Now, according to the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory we are seeing some positive diagnoses in the Lone Star State, the same virus as in other states. It's Canine Influenza Virus or CIV. The symptoms include "high fever, loss of appetite, coughing, nasal discharge and lethargy."
The diagnostic lab says that "virtually all dogs exposed become infected, but only 80 percent develop clinical signs." The other 20 percent, although not showing symptoms, are still contagious, mostly infecting other dogs through direct contact. If you want to protect your dog, ask you vet about vaccines or avoid high traffic dog areas like dog parks, groomers, kennels and daycare.
Right now, it doesn't look like this virus can be spread to humans.