Think Pets Are Safe From Coyotes Because You Have a Fence? Think Again
There have been warnings issued about reports of coyotes inside the city limits. So what do we really know about these animals? Here are a few things you might not know about coyotes.
- Coyotes can jump and jump high. According to The Animal Care and Adoption Center Texarkana USA Coyotes can jump a 6 to 7-foot fence! And they are good climbers too.
Some other interesting facts about coyotes from visitbigsky.com
- They can run up to 40 miles per hour when chasing their prey.
- Coyotes are monogamous animals, they mate for life.
- They mate in February. So, it's mating season right now and pups will be born 2 months later.
- Coyotes have 5 to 7 pups. Mom and Dad share the duties of taking care of their pups.
- Coyotes are excellent swimmers.
The Animal Care and Adoption Center Texarkana USA reminded us to please be careful and watch our pets if they are outside:
Please be aware it is their mating season and they are in overdrive to find food to keep up with activities of their nature’s call. We have received a few calls on them. We highly recommend keeping pets indoors, and when outside, please be with them. Coyotes are capable of jumping a 6-7ft fence, and are extremely athletic in climbing as well. If you happen to have one causing problems inside Texarkana Arkansas City limits please call and we will assist as best we can. Please do not approach if one comes into your yard.
Call Animal Care and Adoption Center at (870) 773-6388